Ford investing $1.2B in 3 Michigan plants, adding 130 jobs

Posted March 29, 2017

Ford Motor Co on Tuesday said it would invest $1.2 billion in three MI facilities and create 130 jobs in projects largely in line with a previous agreement with the United Auto Workers union, hours after U.S. President Donald Trump touted a "major investment" by the automaker on Twitter.

An engine plant in Romeo, Michigan, where 500 people work, is in line for a $150 million investment under the same deal.

Even though plant construction was called off, the company said, production of the Focuses would still move south of the border.

The president also teased in one of his tweets in February that a big auto industry announcement was coming last week of March, however, it is not confirmed if the Ford announcement is the same.

Ford will spend $150m on its Romeo plant to boost its ability to make auto parts, and $200m will be ploughed into a new data centre.

President Trump Hits the Golf Course For the 13th Time
See photos of Melania Trump arriving at the event and posing with Florida Governor Rick Scott at this link , and at this link . During Trump's campaign speech in Virginia last August he said he wouldn't have " time to go play golf".

The news came less than two weeks after Trump visited MI, met with auto executives, and spoke of his aims to roll back auto regulations. Major investment to be made in three MI plants. The company says it will create or retain 130 jobs at that plant, which will make components for a new engine.

The vehicle maker it is investing $850 million in Michigan Assembly Plant to retool the plant to build the all-new Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco.

Trump said Ford would make a "major investment" in three MI plants in a tweet.

- This report was updated at 10:32 a.m.

"Today's announcement is further proof of Ford's commitment to producing in MI and the United States", she said.

Hideto Tanihara makes hole-in-one in Match Play consolation match
The 22-year-old Rahm defeated Soren Kjeldsen, Kevin Chappell and Charles Howell III to win his place in the semifinals. If there is a tie in group play, it is decided by a sudden-death playoff.

The moves "strengthen its leadership in trucks and SUVs and support the company's expansion to an auto and mobility company", according to Ford. Trump repeatedly has pushed automakers and other manufacturers to build factories in the U.S.

But in announcing the new investment today, Ford and UAW clearly credited their 2015 labor agreement.

Late in 2016, Ford temporarily shuttered five factories in North America, including its Flat Rock Assembly Plant to cut down on Mustang stock.

During a speech in Detroit two weeks ago, Trump teased that an announcement related to the automotive industry was coming.

"We believe it's always a good time to invest in your portfolio, adding new products like the Bronco and Ranger, that are exciting to customers", he said.

World Cup Qualifier UEFA
KNVB director Jean Paul Decossaux said in a statement that Blind was removed because of poor results under his leadership. The gamble to cap the teenager may have backfired but the federation backed Blind on this decision.