No choice but lethal force in fatal shooting

Posted June 26, 2017

The pregnant woman fatally shot by Seattle police loved to sing and dance.

Lyles was shot dead inside her apartment on June 18 after police say she confronted two officers with knives.

Her killing has prompted angry protests.

Police and the mayor say the shooting will be investigated and under the watch of federal court monitoring team.

Even if he had brought the Taser, Anderson maintains in police transcripts it would not have been the "appropriate" tool for handling Lyles' abrupt and seemingly violent outburst toward the officers.

Idaho governor welcomes delisting of Yellowstone grizzlies
About 125 tribes have signed a treaty opposing trophy hunting grizzly bears , which Native Americans consider a sacred animal. When Europeans resettled in the West, grizzly bears were trapped, shot, and poisoned to near extinction.

Two officers, rather than one, responded to take Lyles' burglary report because of her prior history with police. But it suddenly escalated with the officers saying "get back" repeatedly.

The mother of four said in the call that she had gone to a store and come home to find someone had broken in.

Anderson said the conversation with Lyles began normally, involving what was missing in the apartment, before Lyles drew the knife as her "face changed completely".

The "Washington Times" and "Seattle Times" reported that Lyles had called police to report a possible burglary.

The two officers say they had no choice but to use lethal force after Lyles tried to stab Officer Jason Anderson in the stomach and cornered Officer Steven McNew in the kitchen. But she also anxious they would be taken from her because an abusive ex-boyfriend, the father of the youngest children, was causing problems for her. Shots were heard in the audio.

FP2 - 0.1s splits Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari in Azerbaijan
Despite running this compound, Verstappen was running 3rd and Ricciardo 6th as the session approached its halfway point. The first practice got underway under a clear sky with track temperatures at a blistering 54 degrees C (129 degrees F).

The video, first posted Thursday, was part of a weekly outreach effort by the Seattle Police Department called "Fuzzfeed206", in which as many as three department public-information officers play the multiplayer, first-person shooter game "Destiny" and talk about police-related issues.

A previous version of this story incorrectly said no one had left or entered the apartment in the hours before the shooting.

Anderson said he wasn't carrying a Taser because the battery in his died two weeks earlier, but he told investigators he wouldn't have used it anyway because he was trained to use lethal force when someone is attacking with a knife.

McNew and Anderson are now on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation.

FG plans renewable energy for rural communities
I can remember when readers would taunt me that only one percent of USA electricity came from non-hydro renewables. Such storage solution could ensure that renewable energy establishes a very prominent position among businesses.